One For The Class

 Alright y'all,

Here's another one for the books... The topic of this week is all surrounding social media. I definitely think that there are benefits and drawbacks to social media. I like Snapchat, especially because I have friends all over the world and I like to see what they're up to. Facebook, Instagram, etc. aren't really my favorite as none of the content on it really seems genuine. Those two, along with dating apps, have the potential to destroy your self-esteem lol.

I don't really think that there is a certain number of friends you can have on social media that will improve your mental-health. This can differ from person to person, and even then I think the positive effects on mental health from social media are kind negligible. I think that there a lot of factors that go into the negative and positive effects that can be associated with social media. I think a lot of it has to do from someone's current mood. If you're having a terrible day, and you see some super hot and rich person from your high school out on a yacht in the Caribbean, odds are you aren't good be super super happy. The opposite is true however... If you're having a great day, it'll likely be made more positive by seeing others also enjoying their lives. 

I think that social media could do more to help people with their mental health, but I also think this is something that can be hard to do. If people get their comments removed for being rude, a lot of the time it turns into a free speech issue. I've also noticed that a lot of social medias DO advertise some mental health services (like BetterHelp... I have a whole lot of thoughts on this b/c they kinda suck, but oh well), but even then there doesn't seem to be any sort of difference made. I think that there would be a cultural shift around social media for any sort of positive changes to be made. 

I think the best social media thing that one can do for their mental health is to just delete the apps. It doesn't have to be for the rest of time, but even just a week or so off of social media can make you feel amazing.

Comments

Popular Posts